Bright Beginnings is dedicated to meeting the immediate needs of children and families living in homelessness.
*Please respect the dignity of our program and families by only donating new and/or unopened items. We are always happy to accept gifts of cash which go directly to support the needs of our children and their families.
Bright Beginnings relies on donated materials of many kinds to serve our families. Due to space limitations, we cannot accept used items such as toys, furniture, clothing and household items. Please call 202.842.9090 to schedule a time to drop off your donations or to determine the immediate need. We will provide you with a donation receipt for your tax records when you drop off your donation. Thank you in advance for supporting our program!
Urgently Needed Items
The following items are in very short supply and are desperately needed:
- Underwear (all children’s sizes up to 6x)
- Diapers sizes 6, 5 & 4
- Girl and boy bottoms size 4 and 5.
- Grocery store gift cards
- Metro fare cards
- Breastfeeding support pillows
- Sippy cups
- Breast pumps
Donate books to each of our classrooms. Books should be age appropriate for children ages six weeks to five years old. Suggested book themes:
- Various cultures
- Animals and Nature
- Healthy Bodies
- Community Helpers (teachers, police officers, doctors, postal workers etc.)
Metro Fare and Gift Cards
- Paper farecards in any denomination are helpful for our families since they can be loaded onto their Smartrip cards. We suggest that fare card donations be made in smaller increments of $5-$10 per card so we can help multiple families.
- Gift cards in increments of $10-$25 to help families to buy cough medicine, baby formula, feminine supplies, etc. Target, Safeway, Giant, CVS and Rite Aid are preferred but all are welcome.
- Gift card incentives in $10-$25 increments also reward parents for participation in Center activities, such as health forums, parenting classes and for their children’s perfect attendance.
Clothing and Personal items
- Unopened packs of diapers especially sizes 4-6
- Baby wipes
- Boys’ and girls’ Pull-ups
- Children’s underwear and socks (must be new, all children’s sizes).
- Toiletries (all sizes) for a whole family such as shampoo, body wash, women’s personal items, soap, conditioner, and deodorant.
- Shoes (all children’s sizes, especially sneakers or other close-toed shoes that are good for movement).
- Dental supplies such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, dental floss, etc.
Our Annual Baby Shower in October is often the only baby shower our pregnant mothers have and their only opportunity to obtain the supplies they will need for their baby, such as diapers, infant clothing, burping cloths, bottles, car seats, pacifiers and other essential items. If you are interested in supporting our baby shower please contact Tamara Perez at 202.842.9090.
- Paper (all sizes, shapes, and textures such as construction paper, newsprint, wrapping paper and tissue paper), assorted note cards and stationery, memo pads and notebooks, greeting cards (holiday, occasions, invitations), Post-It notes, etc.
- Magazines (i.e. National Geographic, fashion, fitness, cultural, & food)
- Environmental awareness supplies, such as art supplies, planting supplies, books for children about the environment, etc.
- Back to school supplies for children transitioning to kindergarten, including two sets of uniforms, school shoes, and backpacks are needed each August.